Impact of the Foundation:
Examples of the blessings your donations provided:
- Transportation for a family to travel to Houston for special treatment from cancer
- Support for multiple families that have lost their home due to a fire
- Hotel expenses for a family member traveling to a funeral in Florida
- Food and income replacement for a mother while her son was in ICU
- Babysitting services for younger children of parents while child in NICU
- Gas and food for family traveling from Orangeburg to Charleston for special surgery and recovery
- Transportation for a family to travel to Ohio for surgery and recovery from a rare childhood disease
- Funeral expenses for a family that lost their daughter in a car accident
- Food for the family and celebration of life for a mother that died in a car accident
- Food for the family for a coach that died of COVID
- Temporary living expenses for a family that child is undergoing treatments for cancer
- Over 2,200 medical power of attorney documents in place from our grass root promotions
- We have also helped 5 families start up their own fundraisers and foundations to memory of their child – as well as assisted with creation of impact statements
- Over $60,000 has been given to families in need
Advocacy for Change in Medical Center Policy and Programs to help with rapid 2nd opinions
DEFINITION: Advocacy for changes in medical center policies and programs to benefit and improve the communication and interaction among families, medical center staff, and other parties involved in or consulting in the care of the patient.
As a family member or loved one of a patient undergoing care for a critical injury, illness, or medical condition and who is currently unable to advocate on behalf of themselves, I need the ability to be able to easily, quickly, and securely share my family member’s or loved one’s test results, scans, or any other information relating to their present condition with other parties, some or all of whom may be of my choosing, who can provide second or additional opinions or input regarding my family member’s or loved one’s condition and/or their continued care and treatment.
Examples of current areas of focus:
- College Student – HIPAA waiver education
- Replacement of media, such as CDs and DVDs, with more effective means of sharing such as autorun flash drives and/or network shares.
Housing While In Treatment
As a family member or loved one of a patient undergoing care for a critical injury, illness, or medical condition and who is currently unable to advocate on behalf of themselves, I need a safe, clean, and affordable place to stay that is close to the medical facility where my family member or loved one is receiving treatment so that I can be with them and advocate on their behalf.
Example of current activities:
- Hotel chains/Airbnb etc near trauma center hospitals to have a special rate that hospitals can distribute to families that are out of town
- Use foundation funds to reimburse families with financial hardships that are victims of the tragedy.
As a family member or loved one of a patient whose present injuries were a result of them being a victim of a crime, I would like to either have a single point of contact and/or a process in place that can help facilitate quick, accurate, and timely communication among myself and other family members and/or loved ones, law enforcement, and the medical community involved in the care of my family member or loved one.
Examples of current activities
- Hospital distributed guide on urgent numbers and support agencies
- Exploring Urgent care family hotline with existing victim support groups